UNN Postgraduate Admission Form 2023: This post is all about the University of Nigeria, Nsukka Postgraduate admission form for 2023/2024 academic session. The requirements, application procedure, Duration, application deadline, and additional information about the form will be discussed here.
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) full-time, part-time and sandwich postgraduate programmes in various Faculties, Institutes and Centres for the 2022/2023 academic year.
General requirements for UNN Postgraduate Admission Form 2023
Applicants for admission to any of the University’s postgraduate programs must:
- Have earned 5 credits, including English Language, in no more than two sittings of WASC, GCE, NECO, or NABTEB.
- The minimal entry requirements for the first degree and postgraduate programs in the candidates’ chosen fields of study for graduate school must also be met.
- The candidate must have graduated from the University of Nigeria or another reputable university and meet the requirements listed above.
- Only applicants with university degrees in pertinent fields are required to submit applications for the PGD in civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and architecture.
A. POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
The following may be admissible for a postgraduate diploma:
- Those who have earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Nigeria or another reputable university with at least a third-class honors and a 2.0 GPA on a 5-point scale. Candidates for the Postgraduate Diploma in Public Administration must have at least a third-class honours degree in the arts, social sciences, law, business administration, or education, with a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 5-point scale. Moreover, candidates from disciplines not listed above should have at least three years of relevant post-qualification experience in managerial or administrative roles. The third-class honors in business administration must come from business administration for the PGD program.
- Candidates with a 3.50 Grade Point Average (GPA) on a 5-point scale or its equivalent and a Higher National Diploma (HND) may be admitted. For Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration, candidates who hold other professional qualifications such as Associate Institute of Bankers, Associate Certified Chartered Accountants, Associate Cost and Management Accountants, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, Chartered Professional Accountants, Associate Chartered Institute of Accountants, Association of National Accountants of Nigeria etc. have added advantage for admission. For admission to degree courses in their respective departments, candidates with professional qualifications, including HND, should have pre-professional qualifications, including 5 credits in WASC, GCE O/L, or NECO to satisfy the basic university entry criteria.
- In addition to I or (ii) above, under unique circumstances, candidates may be admitted after passing any examinations that the Department or Faculty may need.
- Candidates with alternative credentials accepted by the University’s Senate and Board of Postgraduate Studies as being equivalent to the aforementioned ones may be admitted.
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
Entry Requirements: Nutrition and Dietetics (PGD)
For the PGD programme in Nutrition and Dietetics, candidates must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institutions:
- HND in Nutrition and Dietetics with a minimum of Upper Credit or Third Class Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics with at least 2.0 GPA on a 5-point scale.
- M.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics: Candidates seeking admission into M.Sc in Nutrition and Dietetics must have obtained as follows:
- HND (Upper Credit) in Nutrition and/or Dietetics with PGD (Credit level and above) in Human Nutrition and/or Dietetics.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2nd Class Honours (Lower Division) in Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Bachelor’s degree in related disciplines with a minimum of Second Class Honours (Lower Division) and PGD in Nutrition and Dietetics at credit level and above in addition to satisfying the University matriculation requirements.
- Ph.D or M.Sc/Ph.D: Candidates seeking admission for the PhD degree programme or M.Sc/Ph.D programme in Human Nutrition and Dietetics must have any of the following qualifications from a recognized institution:
- Master’s degree in Human Nutrition and Dietetics with at least a GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale.
Department of Home Science
- PGD: Candidates seeking admission for PGD in Home Science must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institution:
- HND in Home Science or Home Economics or in relevant fields with a minimum of Upper Credit, or Third class Bachelor’s degree in Home Science or Home Economics with at least 2.0 GPA on 5-point scale.
- M.Sc: Candidates seeking admission into the Master of Science programme in Home Science must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institutions:
- Bachelor’s degree in Home Science or related discipline with a minimum of Second Class honours (Lower Division).
- Bachelor’s degree in Home Science or related discipline with 3rd class honours degree plus PGD passed at Upper Credit level and above.
- HND Upper Credit in Home Science or related disciplines plus PGD at Credit level in the same area in addition to satisfying University matriculation requirements.
- Ph.D or M.Sc/Ph.D: Candidates seeking admission into Ph.D or M.Sc/Ph.D programme in Home Science must have Master’s Degree in Home Science/Home Economics or related discipline from recognized Institution with at least 3.50 GPA on 5-point scale.
B. MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME
The following shall qualify for Master’s Degree admission:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or of other recognized universities who have obtained the Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines with at least a second class honours with not less than 2.50 GPA;
- Candidates with relevant Postgraduate Diplomas from the University of Nigeria or any other recognized university with at least credit level passes with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.0 on 4-point scale;
- Candidates whose first degrees are unclassified but have average score of 50% or above;
- For M.Ed. degree programmes, candidates with at least a good second class single honours degree in teaching subjects plus at least a merit level pass at Postgraduate Diploma in Education, or those who hold a third class honours degree in teaching subjects plus Postgraduate Diploma in Education passed at credit level or above;
- For MPA degree programme, candidates should, in addition to (i) and (ii) above, be serving administrative/managerial staff in the Public or Private sector with a at least two years post-qualification cognate experience;
- Holders of professional Fellowship qualifications such a FIMLT, FNILT, NIPR, or their equivalents obtained through examination. However, candidates with the professional certificates listed above must have worked as Senior Technologist(s) or in equivalent position(s) for at least three years;
- For MD degree Programme in the Department of Medicine: Possession of the Fellowship in Medicine from the National Postgraduate Medical College or its equivalent, or At least an M.Sc. degree in the relevant discipline in which research work predominates, from a recognized university after obtaining the MBBS or its equivalent. The Master’s degree must be with a GPA of at least 3.50 on 5-point scale or 3.00 on 4-point scale in the relevant medical science.
- For M.Sc. degree programme in the Department of Medicine applicant must hold a degree in Medicine (MBBS, MBBCh) from the University Nigeria or any other recognized University.
- For MPH degree programme, candidates should in addition to (i) above, have at least three years relevant post qualification experience or at least a Second Class Honours degree in Nursing Sciences, Sociology and Social Work, Psychology, Medical Mircobiology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Health Education, Pharmacy, DVM, MBBS and BDS. For MPH Degree Programme, the Department will screen the candidates further and base their recommendation on such screening result.
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than those listed above, which are acceptable to the Senate of the University of Nigeria.
C. DOCTORATE DEGREE (PhD.)PROGRAMME
Candidates from the University of Nigeria or from other recognized Universities who have obtained Master’s degree appropriate for the proposed areas of study shall qualify for Doctorate Degree admission. Specifically:
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale, GPA of 3.0 on 4-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programme in all Departments except those departments listed in C(ii) below:
- A minimum GPA of 4.0 on a 5-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programmes in the following Departments/Faculties: Music, Economics, Public Administration and Local Government, Psychology and Faculties of Education, Medical Sciences, Health Sciences and Technology and Business Administration.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale or a B (60%) average at Master’s degree average provided that satisfactory research work for med part of the Master’s Degree programme.
D. MASTER’S/Ph.D. DEGREE PROGRAMME
- A candidate with first class honours from a recognized University may be admitted into a Master’s/Ph.D. programme in his/her discipline. (see Postgraduate Regulation for details)
- A candidate with Master’s degree from a recognized University with at least a GPA of 3.50 on 5-point scale or 3.00 on 4-point scale who wishes to do Ph.D degree in a related area or department shall qualify for the Master’s/Ph.D. Any candidate who is not qualified for Ph.D admission on account of low GPA is still not qualified for admission into Master’s/Ph.D. programme.
- For Faculties and Departments where the possession of Master’s degree with 4.00 points GPA on 5-point scale and above is the condition for Ph.D admission, applicants with Master’s degree GPA of 3.50 and above, but not up to 4.00 may apply for Master’s/Ph.D admission. On completion of Master’s degree coursework specified by the Department, the candidate shall be qualified for a firm Ph.D registration if he or she attains the GPA of 4.00 in the Master’s courses.
NOTE: A candidate admitted into Master’s/Ph.D programme has two options: First, he could complete the Master’s degree programme and then apply to continue with the Doctoral programme without completing a new application form if he/she passes the Master degree with a minimum of 3.50 or 4.0 GPA on a 5-point scale depending on the Department/Faculty. Secondly, the student’s general performance in the course work could be evaluated after the first two semesters of being on the Masters’/Ph.D programme. If the student makes a GPA of 3.50 or 4.0 and above in the coursework (as applicable to the Department/Faculty), Senate on the recommendations of Departmental and Faculty Postgraduate Studies Committees and the Board of the School may approve that the candidate proceeds to Ph.D programme without fully completing the Master’s degree programme.
E. SANDWICH POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
- M.Ed. Sandwich programmes of the Faculty of Education is offered in the following Departments: Adult Education; Arts Education; Science Education; Human Kinetics and Health Education (Health Education, Physical Education & Recreation options); Social Science Education; and Vocational Teacher Education.
- M.Ed. Sandwich programme – Faculty of Education
- MLS degree programme is available in the Department of Library & Information Science.
- Sandwich Postgraduate Diploma is offered in the Institute of Education (PGDE), Vocational Teacher Education (PGDTE) and Library & Information Science (PGDL).
Note: Candidates are advised to read through the current Postgraduate Regulation of the University of Nigeria for proper guidance on the Entry Requirements and other conditions for Postgraduate admissions in the University.
Duration of UNN Postgraduate Programmes
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Postgraduate Diploma (Regular) – Two semesters
- Postgraduate Diploma (Sandwich) – Three Long Vacations
- Master’s degree (Regular) :
- A minimum of 3 semesters for full-time and 5 semesters for part-time in all Departments/Faculties except for the Departments/Faculties listed below:
- A minimum of 4 semesters for Full-time and 6 semesters for part-time for the following Departments/Faculties: Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration and Local Government (PALG), Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Education and Business Administration.
- M.Ed. (Sandwich) – three long vacations.
- Ph.D. degree Programme –A minimum of six semester for full time and eight semesters for part time in all Faculties except Agriculture which is has minimum of four semesters for full time and six semesters for part time. Ph.D. programme is not run as a Sandwich programme.
Candidates are expected to complete their programmes at the minimum duration, but not to exceed the maximum duration (See Postgraduate Regulations).
How to Apply for UNN Postgraduate Admission Form
Application Forms can be obtained ONLINE on payment of a non-refundable fee of N26,700.00 (Twenty six, seven hundred naira only) made payable to “The University of Nigeria Postgraduate Application Fees Account, at any bank within the country using the Remita platform. Below is the process flow for the application:
- Login to the UNN Portal- www.unnportal.unn.edu.ng/
- Go to postgraduate students
- Select PG form for 2022/2023
- Enter your telephone number.
- Fill in your basic details.
- Generate Invoice with RRR.
- Make payments using the online channel or at the bank.
- Come back to online form.
- Fill the PG online application form.
- Upload all necessary credentials in PDF.
- Complete referee form. (Enter correct Emails).
- Check the complete details
- Submit form.
Please note that with the exception of the transcript, you are not expected to submit hard copies of application materials to the school of Postgraduate Studies.
REFEREE REPORTS: When completing the application form, the candidates shall supply the e-mail addresses of their referees through which a link will be sent to the referees with request to complete the Report Form in respect of the candidate and submit online.
TRANSCRIPTS: Candidates should download transcript request forms (D2) also provided online, and submit to their former Universities/Institutions to forward their academic transcript(s) to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka”. Candidates whose transcripts are not received on or before the deadline by the School shall not have their application forms processed.
Additional information about UNN Postgraduate Admission Form
All information required would be completed online except the transcript. Copies of qualifying certificates/statement of result and NYSC discharge certificate (Exemption or Exclusion Certificate) are to be attached. Note that To Whom It May Concern shall not be accepted in lieu of the certificates specified above.
REGISTRATION – For Regular/Sandwich programmes, Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctorate degree programme, candidates are considered for admission once in a session. Regular students are expected to register their postgraduate courses within four weeks from the commencement of the session. Candidates admitted for sandwich programmes are expected to register not later than two weeks from the commencement of the sandwich session.
Deadline for UNN Postgraduate form 2023
The application starts on Monday, 14th March 2022 and closes on Monday, 31st July 2023.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS
- All applicants will undergo computer-based postgraduate admission screening.
- Check out for information on screening processes via the UNN Website, www.unn.edu.ng for your further necessary action.
- Date for the Postgraduate Admission Screening will be announced later.
- NOTE: For Ph.D degree programme, a candidate must have published at least an article from his/her Ph.D thesis in a journal certified by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka as a condition for graduation.
- Plagiarism test shall be run on Master’s Project Report and PhD Thesis before they can be approved.
His name is Ibrahim Olamide ” the CEO of WITSPOT.ORG He is a writer, poet, educational consultant, and also reporter who cherishes reporting the latest updates in educational news around the world. Also, he is committed to assisting the learners in terms of learning and other aspects. |UNILORITE|